Beyond the Windstream - Producer's Letter
Solorius Greetings, Daevas! Gideon here.
I wanted to take some time to discuss upcoming changes to the game.
In my last letter in September, we mentioned the possibility of server merges. The health of our servers is extremely important to a sustainable long-term future of Aion. To that end, in spring 2017 we will be merging the servers from five down to two.
Israphel, Tiamat, and Kahrun will be merged into one server, while Siel and Beritra will become the other. I understand many of you will be dismayed to hear this news, as it effectively means all players will be affected by the merges. Making this decision was extremely painful, however in the long term it will allow us to provide a better gameplay experience for all of our players.
Unfortunately, there is no solution that will make everybody happy. We will do our best to alleviate the worst of it and are actively working with the development team in Korea to ensure that the player-side impact is as minimal as possible. Once we finalize the exact changes that will take place, we will be releasing a comprehensive guide and FAQ about the merge early next year.
On the bright side, we will be turning to the community to help us name the two servers! We’re excited to see what we can come up with together.
In the last few months, we have suspended and permanently closed numerous accounts tied to exploiting and cheating in our game. We would like to remind players to play Aion fairly. Should you find a player cheating do reach out to us so we can review and determine the next course of action.
Dev Team Visit
Two weeks ago, a few key members of the Aion Dev team visited the North American office. We had extremely productive meetings discussing the challenges Aion faces, our road ahead, and how we can provide a better service for the players. They were also very interested to hear our suggestions for how the game can be improved, and shared some of their plans for the future. Both groups had wonderful input, and we look forward to those future plans becoming reality.
We asked if they would like to address our community, and they had this to say:
- Hello to all the Daevas who love Aion. Nice to meet you!
- While the U.S. office is preparing the 5.3 update, the development team is spending countless hours working on the future of Aion.
- Recently, the development team visited the U.S. office and heard a lot about their players. We were worried after hearing some negative feedback about the game from some players. We will work harder!
- We understand that the current version is not perfect. The upcoming 5.3 update was developed to encourage playing together via competition and cooperation, and also brings out new Abyss gear! Our goal for this update is to bring back the feel of an epic-scale MMORPG for our Daevas. We hope you enjoy it!
- Looking even past that, the version we are currently working on focuses on expanding the story and improving the game world, and is filled with new features that we can't share just yet.
- We will do our best to alleviate the current issues, so please continue to give feedback and look forward to the future!
- It is unfortunate that the development team has no opportunities to directly meet western players as we are based in Korea. If there is a good opportunity next time, we would like to meet western users and talk about Aion in depth.
- Thank you for your support! -- Aion Dev Team (Korea)
It was hinted at above, but you won’t need to wait long for Aion 5.3. We are already working on this exciting update and we will be making our major announcements after the holidays.
Stay warm and safe this holiday season. We will see you in game!
Please bear in mind what we discuss have already been a work in progress and not an exhaustive list of what the team has been doing. We will continue to share with you our plans, thoughts, and actions on the game.